Abendroth Blutjager's Guide to Harry Potter

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Mystery of the Invisibility Cloak


While looking for Halloween updates to www.jkrowling.com and comparing what I found to what www.Mugglenet.com found, I saw that I had missed the Miscellaneous entry about Spell Definitions, so I went back to the JKR site to view the missed info...then I found something I think Mugglenet might have missed: NAQ

This is something many readers have pondered, including myself. Apparently no one has ever asked Jo about James's Invisibility Cloak, specifically why Dumbledore has it....

I have a theory. Actually, it's part of my "Harry will time-travel back to the night the Potters were attacked (or ever farther back in time than that)" theory. I think it's possible that Harry goes to the Potters' house in Godric's Hollow some time before the attack, takes the cloak, and sends it to Dumbledore. Given the circumstances, Dumbledore might mistake Harry (whom he so far had only seen as a baby) for James. I feel that if this is the case, Harry would have sent the cloak by Owl and simply signed the note as "James Potter". Harry's handwriting might also just happen to look similar to his father's.... What else the note might have said is beyond me...perhaps instructions to give the cloak to Harry once he enters Hogwarts.
This would suggest (to Dumbledore) that James expected an attack (despite the Fidelius Charm) and also that James thought Harry would survive to later receive the cloak.
Though James could have Seer abilities, it's a bit unlikely. Therefore, I think it will be Harry impersonating his own father - either by speaking with Dumbledore but not letting him see Harry clearly or by forging a note.
Another possibility: Dumbledore knows it's actually Harry who gives him the cloak, and he just lies about it. We like to think that Dumbledore is truthful, but when Harry and Hermione return from saving Buckbeak and Sirius, Dumbledore plays innocent, like he had nothing to do with it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home