Abendroth Blutjager's Guide to Harry Potter

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Next to mad dictators

In Jo's most recent diary entry at www.jkrowling.com, she has specifically mentioned Dan Radcliff's changed theory on Severus Snape. Is she trying to clue us in on a truth Dan has discovered about my favorite character?

I feel the same way about Snape, and I've felt this way for quite some time, but I'd never thought to put it in these (Dan's) words.

I see Snape as someone who doesn't mind being a follower, as long as the leader is reasonable and kind. Between Dumbledore and Voldemort, Snape chooses Dumbledore. Perhaps Snape starts to doubt Dumbledore's sanity, too. Did Dumbledore fear outliving his usefullness?

I also see Snape as someone, like Harry, looking for a father figure. Snape's reasons are a bit different, though, since he had a father growing up. Tobias comes across as the authoritarian, the father who rules with an iron fist. Voldemort is merciless and insane. Dumbledore might have been losing his marbles, too, but he was a softy... maybe too soft.

Interestingly, Snape (in PoA) seems happy beyond reason with the prospect of standing, beaming (well, smirking, probably), next to Fudge. He wants that Order of Merlin so bad. Of course, Fudge isn't mad or a dictator... he's incompetent.

Actually, I'd like Snape to one day receive the coveted Order of Merlin. I just hope that it isn't awarded posthumously.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home